Do you find it difficulty to cook twice a day for lunch and dinner?
Do you end up buying take away food for convenience?
Do you feel guilty after having a take away, especially if the reason being is that you don’t feel like cooking?
Frequently, lots of my clients feel that it is too much to cook twice a day. Honestly, I feel the same way too even though I love cooking. In addition, I notice that if they buy a take away they feel they’ve ruined their healthy eating habits. With this I have to strongly disagree. The reason being is that it depends on the frequency and the portion size eaten. In order to try to help out ease the stress of cooking twice a day I thought of something convenient which can be yummy, practical and still low in calories. In this blog I share a healthy recipe of mini chicken pies.
These mini chicken pies are prepared in about 25 minutes and takes about 50 minutes to cook. You will be able to make 4 portions from this recipe. Thehe other extra portions can be frozen and used for that day when you don’t feel like not cooking anything for lunch or dinner.
- Puff pastry
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 400 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 280g chopped chicken breast
- 100 g chopped carrots
- 150g potatoes
- Chopped fresh basil
- Black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Put the carrots, potatoes and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl and mix. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spread the vegetable mixture on a baking sheet and put in the oven.
- After 20 – 30 minutes remove from the oven and let the mixture cool.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Roll out the puff pastry to 1 cm thick. Cut the pastry a little bit bigger than the dish into 4 pieces. Keep the pastry ready and refrigerated until it is time to use.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over moderate heat. Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute. Add the milk while whisking and simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes until it thickened.
- Add the lemon juice, chicken, vegetables and basil and stir.
- Put the mixture into 4 dishes and top the dishes with the pastry. Press against the outside edge to seal.
- Brush the pastry with the egg white.
- Bake the pies in the oven for another 15 – 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Serve.
This method will also help you to save your time from cooking the same dish and money spend on take away food. I suggest that you use that extra time and money to treat yourself, as you truly deserve. Let me know if you agree with me in the comments below 🙂