Are you simply looking for a healthy dessert idea?
Do you have some extra time on your hands to prepare a delicious dessert?
Or maybe, you want something sweet for breakfast?
Healthy Rice Pudding with Oats
Written by Dilara Kamisli; Updated by Ms Rowinda Dimech
Thumbs up, if yes. This recipe of healthy rice pudding with oats is creamy and has the yummiest golden top. I would say that it is, one of the best gluten-free desserts out there! These type of desserts are popular in all continents around the world but mostly in Asia where rice is abundant. In Turkey, the country where I come from, this type of dessert is known as Sutlac and it is the most popular in the category of milk-based desserts. In this blog, I decided to modify the original recipe in order to be more practical and fast. Therefore, we will use oats instead of rice and flour. This recipe takes a total time of 45 minutes.
Serves: 4-5 persons
Total time: 45 minutes
- 4 cup of milk
- 4 tablespoon of ground oats
- 4 tablespoon of oats
- 3 tablespoon of honey
- 10 grams of vanillin
- Lemon zest (optional but highly recommended)
- In a saucepan add in milk , oat ,oat flour and vanillin with sugar. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes over low heat. You can add lemon zest at this step.
- Remove the pan from heat ,add honey and mix .
- Pour the hot mixture into individual ovenproof cups.
- Place the cups into an oven tray. Fill half of the oven tray with water so that the pudding has that nice silky skin layer on the top. This step will also keep the rice pudding creamy and prevent it from getting dry.
- Carefully place the tray on the top shelf of a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius. Bake them uncovered until golden brown. It is even better if you have some burnt bits. Watch their top and remove from the oven when they reach the desired golden color.
- Remove from the heat and carefully take the bowls from the tray. Let them completely cool down and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.
Tip: You can top them with nuts such as hazelnuts or pistachios. Bon Appetit!
If, you would like to receive more free recipes please subscribe to our website. In addition, if you would like more recipes like this one I encourage you to order our recipe book. It contains 50 healthy, low calorie recipes all with nutrition information inside.