Would you like a high protein dessert?
And an easy, quick and tasty dessert?
It’s that time of year for a Traditional Kwarezimal recipe!
We are always celebrating a religious feast especially in Malta, and this always comes with a traditional sweet food. This time of year we enjoy ourselves with traditional sweets such as Sfinec ta’ San Guzepp (Zeppoli) and kwarezimal. Kwarezimal are high in protein from almonds and offer various vitamins and minerals from the various spices. If, you suffer from diabetes or simply prefer it low in carbs you can use a sweetener instead of white sugar. I hope you enjoy this traditional Kwarezimal recipe!
- 400g pure ground almonds
- 350g white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Orange zest
- Mandarin zest
- 1 squeezed orange
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Mix the ground almonds with the sugar, zests, cocoa, spices and orange flower water into a stiff paste.
- Transfer onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 6 cm thick roll.
- Cut into 2 cm slices and roll lightly into a cylinder shape.
- Place on a lined baking sheet with baking paper and flatten lightly with your fingertips.
- Mark crisscross with a knife and bake for 10 minutes at 180°c until slightly browned.
- Allow the kwareżimal to cool down and drizzle with honey and sprinkle with the nuts.
Let me know what you think of this tradition kwarezimal recipe. Leave me your comments below. If, you would like more of these recipe you can order our recipe book. It contains 50 low calorie recipes all with nutritional information inside!